Mindfulness as a Tool for Effective Storytelling
Effective storytelling involves being in the moment – mindful of the experience created for others, as well as oneself. This interdisciplinary workshop invites you to develop a practice of looking inward, to connect deeper with yourself and your story. Learn to connect with stories at a deeper level by blending the elements of two ancient traditions – mindfulness and storytelling. Pick up simple mindfulness techniques to stay grounded and grow self-awareness to better support yourself and your community.
A note on mindfulness:
While secular mindfulness has gained popularity in recent years, it is rooted in an ancient practice that focuses on living with awareness. Practising mindfulness supplements your craft as a storyteller by:
- being calmer and more connected
- improving listening skills
- being more observant and responsive
- managing stress
- improving memory
- being more grounded and anchored, and confident
- being more empathetic
- being compassionate to oneself and others
Storytellers & Spoken Word Practitioners, Writers, Performance Artists, Educators, Parents, Caregivers
- Building a deeper connection between the storyteller and the story
- Apply the qualities of mindfulness when telling stories
- Cultivating greater self-awareness between the storyteller, the story and the audience
At the end of the workshop, participants will:
- Use simple and practical mindfulness techniques immediately
- Connect with audiences more effectively
- Discover how to integrate mindfulness within your storytelling style
Photography & Video Recording Rules:
- Unauthorised video and audio recording is not permitted for this event.
- Photography without flash and without disrupting the artists/event is permitted within reason.
- All patrons are required to purchase tickets for admission.
- Admission is subject to proof of tickets purchased.
- Latecomers advisory: All latecomers must wait for suitable cue for seating.
- No refunds, no exchange of tickets.